Im all for trying to sneak vegetables into food where you wouldn’t normally find them, and this is the perfect example of how you can include vegetables in something without it effecting the taste, which is particular useful for anyone trying to incorporate more vegetables into their diet.
Even if this isn’t you, don’t let the zucchini in this recipe put you off – you wont even taste it in this deliciously rich, creamy and chocolatey pudding, which means you still get a dose of veggies without even noticing – how’s that for value!?
This delicious pudding is packed full of healthy fats, fibre and is high in antioxidants – making it the perfect breakfast pudding. It comes together in no time and can easily be made a day or two ahead of time. It tastes amazing topped with my crunchy Cacao Pops. It also works as a dessert in the evenings, topped with shredded coconut, chopped nuts or berries, or as a snack in the afternoon… Lets face it, anything chocolatey – not to mention healthy! – is great any time of the day :)
Update August 2015:
Since originally creating this recipe back in March 2014, it’s been one of my most loved recipes on here and also one I enjoy myself quite a bit. Since first publishing it, I’ve played around with some of the flavourings and thought I’d share them with you here.
1. Nut free version – use some seeds in place of the walnuts
2. Super(food)size it – top with goji berries, bee pollen, and cacao nibs
3. Add a little flavour – blend through some orange, raspberries, cardamom or extra dates for a flavour boost
4. More decadent – add 1 Tbsp thick coconut cream, 2 tsp raw honey and an extra Tbsp raw cacao – this will give you a more rich result perfect for dessert rather than a snack or breakfast dish.
- ½ cup raw zucchini, chopped
- 1 ripe banana, chopped
- ½ cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ ripe avocado
- 2 - 3 Tbsp raw cacao
- 1 medjool date, soaked in ½ cup water
- Optional: 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp mesquite powder
- If the date isn't soft, place it in ⅓ cup of hot water and leave at least 10 minutes to soak. Drain.
- Add all ingredients to a high-powered blender and blend until smooth and fluffy.