Hello, and thanks for dropping by my little part of the (e)world!
This page is intended as a little ‘getting to know you’ page – if you’re more interested in wholefoods + healthy eating than hearing about my favorite TV shows, head over here instead.
I thought I’d share a few little tidbits of information that you may (or may not!) find interesting… So lets get started!
- Asides from recipe creation, I also have a passion for styling and photographing food – so much so that in 2017 I launched a series of online courses – Food Photography + Styling Guides. If you’re interested in food photography, please head over to check it out :)
- My favorite recipes on the blog currently are Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup (with charred corn, you have to add the charred corn!), Honey, Walnut + Thyme Muffins and Roasted Almond Butter Thumbprint Cookies – though it changes all the time.
- My favorite foods not on here are chocolate, sushi, “proper” Italian-style pizza and blue cheese. While I love salads, green smoothies and sprouted grains, I also like to treat myself from time to time – moderation is the key!
- I live in Tasmania, the little island at the bottom of Australia, with my boyfriend, our toddler Lou and our little dog Maggie who you’ll see quite a bit if you follow my social media feeds (apologies in advance if you’re not a dog person). I absolutely love this place we live and think we are incredibly lucky to be able to call Tasmania home. Though we live in the capital city here (Hobart), I love getting out of the city any chance I get, and going on a hike or bushwalk in some of the stunning scenery we have here.
- Other than cooking/blogging, my favorite thing to do is travel. I love weekend getaways, day trips/walks and overseas holidays, whether it be lazing on a beach somewhere warm or exploring the backstreets of a city and experiencing new foods and cultures. My favorite destinations have been Iceland, Thailand, Italy and Poland.
- I tend not to watch much TV on a day-to-day basis, but do love a good Netflix binge every now and then! My favorite series I’ve watched in the past little while are Fargo, Waco, the Handmaid’s Tale, Trapped, Big Little Lies and of course Game of Thrones. I also have a soft spot for Grey’s Anatomy which I still watch (my friends tease me I’m their only remaining viewer – but I’m sure I’m not alone!?)
- I love house plants and have too many to count (although my Mum did once when she was plant sitting for us – at the time we had 68, but it’s grown a lot since then!)
- For more of my photography work, check out some of my non-food related shots at dearnabond.com
- For more of my recipes, I also contribute over at the KetoApp blog.
Why “to her core”?
Anyone who has started a blog will know that choosing a name can be one of the biggest hurdles to getting started. You want something that’s catchy, meaningful, relevant and something that resonates with you personally. You also want something unique, and with what seems like millions-upon-millions of food-related blogs out there today, a lot of the “good ones” are already taken.
I tossed up a few ideas for my site’s name, but ultimately kept coming back to this one for a few reasons
- It signifies what this site is about. I have always wanted this site to be about healthy cooking, and food that nourishes you from the inside out – ie through to your core
- Whilst having a good inner “core” is extremely important for health, it’s also important for exercise too, and as an avid Pilates fan this was something else that resonated with me
- I wanted something that had relevance for the place for my home – Tasmania, known as the Apple Isle (probably quite obvious here, but, apple > “core”). Not only is Tassie stunningly beautifully with incredibly clean, fresh air and drinking water, we also have some of the most delicious natural food produced here
- And lastly, but not least, the thing that really ‘sealed the deal’ for me – it reminded me of my favorite Paul Kelly song :)
If you are interested in working/collaborating with me, or asking any questions, be sure to drop me a line at dearna [at] tohercore [dot] com
Thanks for stopping by!